The following news items have been submitted by our members:
- Lynn Christopher - Below is the link to the CAC Gold Medal Show. I have been included with 2 sculptures, "The Silence of No" - figures 1&2.
I am very pleased to be shown with such a distinguished group of artists. It will be an exciting month!
I am also running Sunday uninstructed sculpture sessions in my studio. I am setting up for 4 hour poses, 10:30-2:30, a new pose every week. This gives sculptors a great opportunity to work with a model, tune their eye, and sculpt with others. I has been a great time so far, and I look forward to many fun sessions. I would like to let more people know about this, as it is rare to find an uninstructed class devoted to sculpture. Anyone can come, and Temecula is wine country, so there is a great list of wineries to visit after sculpting...:) If this is an announcement that fits somewhere in the newsletter, That would be great, thank you.
- Amy Kann has been elected to the board at the NSS, and also she is now a Fellow.
Hiro Kawabata - I have my group exhibitions in Tokyo. It is held from March 22 to April 2 in the National Art Center in Tokyo. My work is also exhibited.
http://www.hakujitsu.com/ this site Japanese only...
With this, there is also an exhibition by those from whom the group was similarly selected independently in the gallery of Ginza in Tokyo. My work is also exhibited. This is from April 1 to April 14.
htttp://www.niccho.com/ this site also Japanese only
- Daniel AltShuler - I have just finished a portrait statue of Donald Chisholm for Mercy
Hospital in Kansas City, MO. The work should be shipped and installed in
location in the next month or so and a press release will be made available by the hospital.
I also have finished a bas-relief for a monument for the City of Lawrence MA for the 100th anniversary strike of 1912. This is not a portrait but
lots of heads and figures in the work.
- Olinka Broadfoot - please view this flier for information on my workshop this summer and fall in CZ. I also, I just finished a portrait of the poet Laureate in Washington
- Mardi Rees - I recently finished a portrait of my daughter (2-1/2) that turned out beautiful. There is nothing like capturing (as much as possible) the innocence and wonder of a child. You can view her here: http://mardierees.com/journal/2012/02/la-petite-fleur/
- Marc Mellon's busts of portrait painter Everett Raymond Kinstler and of Nobel Peace Prize recipient Elie Wiesel were exhibited at the Century Association in New York City in January, 2012. The first bronze cast of the Elie Wiesel bust will be permanently installed at the 92nd Street Y in Manhattan in the Fall of 2012.
Mellon's 10' Generations was unveiled at MorseLife Senior Campus in March 2012. The sculpture includes six one-half life-size full figures. His over life-size Eve has been purchased for the permanent collection of the Chi Mei Museum in Taiwan. His bust of Chairman Shi, founder of Chi Mei, is also in the museum's collection.
- Stuart Williamson will exhibit his tribute to Pina Bausch, the Famous Choreographer, at the Society of Portrait Sculptors Exhibition, Cork Street, Central London, on the 16th May.
Heidi Maiers completed portrait busts of Prince William and Kate Middleton for Ripley's Wax museums. The figures will be on display in their museums this spring.
Thanks for your continued interest and support